Submit Applications Now
New City, NY, – County Executive Ed Day and Commissioner of Social Services Joan Silvestri announced that the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is now accepting applications from those in need of help paying overdue water and wastewater bills. Applications can be submitted online or by mail now.
The program is funded with $69.8 million from the federal Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 and the American Rescue Plan of 2021. Benefits are based on the amount of unpaid water and wastewater bills owed by applicants and could go as high as $2,500 for each service. This assistance is targeted at low-income households, particularly those who pay a high proportion of their income for drinking water and wastewater services, and income guidelines will mirror that of the Home Energy Assistance Program. The 2021 – 2022 Monthly Income Limits are:
Program benefits are based on the actual amount of drinking water and/or wastewater arrears, up to a maximum of $2,500 per drinking water or wastewater provider, or $5,000 if drinking water and wastewater services are combined, per household. Benefits are paid directly to the household’s drinking water and/or wastewater vendor(s).
“We know that many Rockland residents are still recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic and this program is another way government is helping people bounce back. I encourage everyone eligible to apply for this assistance,” said County Executive Ed Day.
Eligibility and benefits are based on:
- household size,
- household includes a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or qualified alien, and
- amount owed to drinking water and/or wastewater provider(s).
Your household may be eligible for a benefit if:
- You or a member of your household are a Citizen, U.S. National, or qualified alien and
- Your household’s gross monthly income is at or below the current income guidelines for your household size; or
- You receive Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) benefits or
- You receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits or
- You receive Temporary Assistance (TA); or
- You receive Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone); and,
- You pay a vendor directly for your drinking water and/or wastewater usage and
- Your drinking water, wastewater, or combined drinking water and wastewater account is twenty (20) days past the due date, you have a water lien that is levied on your local property taxes, or your drinking water, wastewater, or combined drinking water and wastewater service is terminated or otherwise facing disconnection due to unpaid arrears.
Applicants must include the following documentation along with their application:
- Proof of identity for the primary applicant.
- A valid Social Security Number for the primary applicant.
- Proof of residence.
- A drinking water, wastewater, or combined drinking water and wastewater bill listing your permanent and primary residence.
- Documentation of income for the primary applicant.
A list of documents that are needed to apply can be found here: LIHWAP Document Checklist
For more information and to apply, visit https://otda.ny.gov/LIHWAP. Online applications can be submitted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or you can apply by printing a LIHWAP Application and mail or fax it to:
PO Box 1789
Albany, NY 12201
Fax: (518) 486-1259
Please note that:
- The application should be completed by the person who has primary and direct responsibility for payment of the drinking water, wastewater, or combined drinking water and wastewater bill.
- You must list your permanent, primary residence.
- For more information about LIHWAP please call the NYS LIHWAP Call Center at 1-833-690-0208 or call the toll-free OTDA Hotline at 1-800-342-3009. You may also email LIHWAP at: NYSLIHWAP@otda.ny.gov