Economic Development Opportunity Highlights
Consolidated Funding Application (CFA) Now Open
The eleventh round of the CFA is now open with over $750 million in funding available through more than 30 state programs.
- Since 2011, the first year of the REDC initiative, the CFA has enabled businesses, municipalities, not-for-profits and members of the public to apply for multiple sources of funding from dozens of state agency programs through a single application, for projects that create jobs and help to revitalize communities.
- All of the 2021 guidelines and resources documents can be found on the MHREDC website at https://regionalcouncils.ny.gov/mid-hudson, including:
- 2021 Available Resources Guide – This year there are over 30 programs available through nine state agencies.
- 2021 REDC Guidebook – Learn more about the 11th round of the REDC initiative.
- 2021 CFA Program Webinars – Find recorded webinars for all funding programs available in this year’s REDC round.
- 2021 CFA Application Guide
CFA Deadline for many programs: 4:00 PM SHARP on July 30, 2021
- Note: The deadline does not apply for open enrollment programs, which will continue to accept applications on an ongoing basis.
Attend an upcoming Virtual CFA Information Session!
Information sessions are hosted by ESD team members ready to answer questions about the CFA process. Register for an upcoming event below:
- June 2, 2021 at 12pm – Register HERE
- June 8, 2021 at 9:30am – Register HERE
- June 17, 2021 at 9am – Register HERE
- June 22, 2021 at 12pm – Register HERE
- $2.7 Billion Rental Assistance Program to Provide Funding for Eligible Renters and Landlords Experiencing Financial Hardship; Online Applications Accepted Starting June 1
- $800 Million Small Business Recovery Grant Program to Provide Funding to Small Businesses to Help Them Recover From the Economic Impact of the Pandemic; Online Applications Accepted Starting June 10; Learn more here
Webinar on Export Opportunities for ICT & Cybersecurity in Canada and Israel
- Presented by Ben Kalman and Gerry Stoch
- Wednesday, June 2, 9:00–10:30 a.m. ET
- Register here.
Critical Manufacturing (CM) Virtual Corporate Security Engagement (CSES) Series
- The Critical Manufacturing Virtual Corporate Security Engagement Series will feature speakers from the Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government entities, the Critical Manufacturing sector, state and local agencies, as well as the private sector. Speakers at this event will address topics including a Threat Brief: Critical Manufacturing Sector, Framework for Identifying Cybersecurity by Risks, Distribution and Supply Chain Challenges, and Security Consideration to Protect Intellectual Property.
- Wednesday, June 9, 2021, from 9:00am—11:30am EDT
- Register here
- The expo will feature an online experience with panel discussions, information on regional projects, workshops on special topics and other business development resources.
- It will also include information about State-sponsored financial and technical assistance programs, including the New York Forward Loan Fund the Bridge to Success Loan Program, and the New York State Surety Bond Assistance Program.
- Join the Mid-Hudson MWBE expo on Thursday, July 22, 2021.
- Register to attend HERE.
- Learn more about this year’s MWBE Online Expos HERE.
For Information on Resources for Businesses in Response to COVID-19, please visit nysbusinessrecovery.ny.gov
- Please join this free online panel presentation: Listening to Black Farmers. The three panelists will share their personal experiences as Black Farmers, social justice advocates, and land conservationists
- Panelists include Alison Espinosa, Rhyston Mays & Shaniqua Bowden
- Wednesday, June 2, 6:00 – 7:30 pm ET on Zoom
- Register here
- About the Study: The Route 17 Planning and Environment Linkages Study (PEL) is sponsored by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT), in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). This study is evaluating the engineering feasibility and potential environmental impacts of reasonable alternatives to address the corridor’s transportation needs brought about by current and anticipated growth in the region.
- NYSDOT would like feedback during the development of the Route 17 PEL Study.
- Join the public workshop on Thursday, June 3rd, 6:30pm – 8:30pm.
- Register HERE, and find flyers attached.
- The Small Business Administration (SBA) & Public Private Strategies Institute (PPSI) is providing an educational opportunity to learn more about the community navigator pilot funding opportunity created by the American Rescue Plan Act.
- This program is intended for and open to all community-based organizations, chambers of commerce, business associations who share our mission of helping to reach every small business owner who needs help.
- See the Notice of Funding Opportunity here. According to the website the deadline to apply is July 12, 2021.
Economic Development Resources
- Business Pandemic Recovery Initiative
- Round 11 of the Regional Economic Development Council (REDC) Initiative / CFA
- New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA): Stay tuned for more information on NYSCA’s upcoming funding opportunities. Join their mailing list HERE.
- Hudson River Valley Greenway Grant Program – deadlines are Sep 10, and Nov 8, 2021
- Environmental Justice Community Impact Grants – Search for “community impact” – deadline is 3 p.m. EST on July 1, 2021
- Community Development Block Grant Applications for Economic Development, Small Business & Microenterprise accepted throughout 2021 with rolling awards. Learn more HERE.
- New York Power Authority’s (NYPA) ReCharge NY Program
- Utility Economic Development Programs
- Federal Grants
Technical Assistance for Businesses
- Get Help Navigating State and Federal Small Business Assistance Programs
- Empire State Development’s Division of Small Business
- New York State Small Business Development Center
- Women’s Enterprise Development Center
- New York State Certified Business Incubators and Innovation Hot Spots: New York State has designated 10 Innovation Hot Spots—one for each of New York’s economic development regions—and 20 Certified Business Incubators, which receive funding to reach a greater number of early-stage companies. Support may vary by location but generally includes: physical space; shared administrative staff; access to capital; coaching; mentoring; networking connections; prototype development; and access to other technical services. Innovation Hot Spots also coordinate regional entrepreneurial ecosystems, and can offer tax benefits to client businesses. In the Mid-Hudson we have:
- BioInc @New York Medical College: The region’s only biotechnology incubator offers shared resources, turnkey wet lab space and sponsored professional services to promising, high-potential entrepreneurs and start-ups. BioInc@NYMC helps members achieve development and funding milestones.
- Hudson Valley Center for Innovation | Accel7: Accel7 is the oldest, continuously operating business and tech accelerator serving the Hudson Valley between Westchester and Albany, focusing on building and launching Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) solutions with early-stage entrepreneurs.
- Business Mentor NY (BMNY): Business Mentor NY is the State’s first large scale, hands-on small business mentoring program that helps NYS entrepreneurs and established small businesses overcome challenges to grow their business. Business Mentor NY is a free resource that allows entrepreneurs and volunteer mentors to easily connect so they can solve problems and build businesses together.
- SBA’s Ascent: Free learning platform for women entrepreneurs
- Business Express: Your Guide to Doing Business in New York State
- Empire State Digital: Connects New York-based small businesses with the education, access and resources needed to digitize, expand and adapt to the new economy due to the changes from COVID-19.
- ESD Global New York: Export Assistance for NYS Businesses
- Global NY programs connect companies with sales agents and distributors abroad and offset the costs of exporting with grants and loans.
- Global NY is committed to helping businesses sell their products and services in growing markets including Canada, China, Europe, India, Israel, Mexico, Europe, South Africa and South America.
- Global NY Webinar Series
- For Manufacturers
- New York State Manufacturing Extension Partnership (NY MEP) Assists Small And Mid-Sized Manufacturers In Becoming More Competitive
- Fuzehub: Resources for NYS Manufacturers
- NYS Office of General Services: Guidance on Doing Business with New York State
Workforce Development Resources
- New York Entertainment Workforce Diversity Grant Program
- New York State Jobs Express: Employers with job openings can post their open positions, and individuals looking for employment can search for opportunities on the NYS Department of Labor’s Jobs Express website.
- For Job Seekers:
- NYS Department of Labor’s Jobs Express website
- SUNY Online Training Center –free skill-building, college prep, and employment certification programs with one-on-one career coaching
- Free Online Platform for New Yorkers to Learn New Job Skills, Earn Certificates & Advance Their Careers: Create a free account with Coursera Here
Resources for Employers
- NY State of Health: Shop here to see what health insurance options are available to you, your family, and your business
- Child Care:Parents in need of free child care resources and referrals are encouraged to visit www.HVChildCare.org, where they can enter their zip code to immediately find the name and contact information of the agency that serves their location.
- NYS DOL Shared Work Program: New York State’s DOL Shared Work Program helps businesses manage business cycles and seasonal adjustments. Shared Work lets businesses keep trained staff and avoid layoffs. Employees can receive partial unemployment insurance benefits while working reduced hours. Full-time, part-time and seasonal employees are eligible.
Data and Reports